If you are aged 16-18 most full-time courses are free. If you are 19 and over you are welcome on any full-time courses, there is a course fee, but concessions may apply. Arrangements for flexible payments are also available dependent on your course fee. You may also be able to get help from the college's Discretionary Learner Support Fund/Bursaries. For more information please see below.

Discretionary Learner Support Fund (DLSF) (Including discretionary bursary)

You may be able to claim additional funding from the College's Discretionary Learner Support Fund to help towards costs such as equipment, materials, travel and childcare. For information and advice contact Student Services.

The 16-19 Bursary Fund (Guaranteed)

If you are aged under 19 on 31 August in the academic year in which you start your course and fall into one of the identified categories listed below, you are guaranteed a bursary totalling £1,200 per the year:

  • You are in care
  • You are a care leaver
  • You are in receipt of Employment and Support Allowance or Universal Credit and Disability Living or Personal Independence Payments in their own right

Other students who would need financial suport may be able to claim a bursary through our Discretionary Bursary Fund to help with costs of equipment, books, uniform, food and travel.

Childcare (Students under 20) Apply for 'Care to Learn'

Funding may be available for childcare if you are:

  • Aged under 20 at the start of your course
  • The main carer of a child/children

For more information visit www.gov.uk/care-to-learn 

Childcare (Students over 20) Apply for 'Care to Learn'

The 19+ Discretionary Learner Support Fund can assist towards the cost of childcare whilst you are studying at Stephenson College. 

Student Finance England

If you are on either a full-time or part-time Higher Education (level 4 and above) course you may be eligible for grants and/or loans. For more information and application forms please visit the web site www.direct.gov.uk/studentfinanceLink to external website (opens new browser window) or speak to the Higher Education Advisor in Student Services.

Help with debt

If you are struggling with problem debt at College then free, professional help is available from debt charities like the Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS). Download their Student Debt Help GuideLink to external website (opens new browser window) for comprehensive, expert advice on how best to manage your money while studying. If you're still worried use, Debt Remedy, their online counselling service or call free phone 0800 138 1111 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm.

For more information on financial support contact Student Services, for confidential and sympathetic advice and guidance.

19+ Advanced Learning Loans

For information on 19+ Advanced Learning Loans please click here to visit the Adult Learning section of our website.